Support the show, consider donating: 13pzV8heDZD9sfRmDWrYQLdsThyTZLL3Qc (http://bit.ly/1Kk0wwF)
As the debate about the blocksize continues to roar through the Bitcoin community, Gavin Andresen joins us to take a step back and ask the big questions: How should these decisions be made in the first place? What does the governance of Bitcoin look like now and what do we want it to look like in the future?
In a challenging time for Bitcoin, it’s a critical discussion to have with the Chief Scientist of the Bitcoin Foundation and successor of Satoshi. We cover everything from the current blocksize debate to the nature of forks to how decisions will be made in Bitcoin XT.
Topics covered included:
– MIT Digital Currency Initiative
– The way Gavin thinks about Bitcoin
– How were decisions made throughout Bitcoin’s history
– What the Nakamoto/market consensus is
– Forking the software vs a fork of the blockchain
– Who should make decisions in Bitcoin and how the interest of different stakeholders should be reconciled
– Why the desirable state is to move towards many different implementations
– How decisions will be made for the Bitcoin XT code base
Links mentioned in this episode:
– Eli Durado: How should Bitcoin be governed? http://bit.ly/1Vm7JnM
– Arvind Narayanan: Bitcoin faces a crossroads, needs an effective decision-making process http://bit.ly/1LCq8bf
– Matt Asay: Why you should fork your next open-source project http://tek.io/1N2bk9i
– Robles & Gonzalez-Barahona, A comprehensive study of software forks http://bit.ly/1JDCtwB
– Chinese Mining Pools Call for Consensus; Refuse Switch to Bitcoin XT http://bit.ly/1Ukpph6
– Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Technologies – Chapter 7: Community, Politics, and Regulation http://bit.ly/1PZVZo5
– BIP 100 Proposal http://bit.ly/1iakV0M
– Ledger Nano: Smart card security for your Bitcoins – Get 10% off your first order when you use the code EB09 at http://ledgerwallet.com (valid until 09/30/15)
– Vaultoro: Invest in the gold-Bitcoin trading platform on Bank to the Future http://bit.ly/1ER5gIo
Epicenter Bitcoin is hosted by Brian Fabian Crain & Sébastien Couture.